Friday, July 6, 2007

Cruise to Mexico

In May 2006, I decided that I wanted to take a trip to relax. I decided to do a 4-day cruise to Mexico. Trust me, that was not relaxing. Cruise ships are very noisy, at least the common areas. We stopped at Catalina Island, which is in California on the way and then we ended up in Ensenada. Why was there a man wearing the bathrobe from the ship walking around
Catalina Island. Everyone was looking at him really weird. It takes all kinds to make the world go round. I ended up buying a few books on Catalina Island. Yes, reading is my hobby and I can't pass a bookstore without stopping. So, if you want to give me a gift, a gift certificate to a bookstore would be quite alright :)

Me and two of the ladies that sat at the same dining table

Catalina Island or the City of Avalon is a small island about 1 hour from Long Beach Pier in California. People actually live on it. They rely on cruise ships and visitors for the majority of their income. Oh, it is so small the cruise ship has to stay in the middle of the ocean and then we have to take small boats from the ship to the pier.



In Ensenda I took a tour around the city on a tour bus of course. It was quite interesting. However, I found the place a bit depressing because of all the women with children that I saw begging on the streets. It seems like everyone was oblivious to them. I got a chance to go to a craft area where they sell to tourists. My goodness, they were all over us. They sold everything, I mean everything. Whatever you are thinkinging, that too. I did get a chance to practice my Spanish, that was fun.

Me on the tour bus


By the way, I was travelling by myself which seems to be an anomoly for everyone. Why, I don't know. People could not understand that I wanted to do this by myself. I guess if you are single you can't go no where. Well, I travel single in style. More single people need to try it and see how wonderful it is. You actually meet quite interesting people. Well, I am not sure I want to go back to Ensenada. I definitely don't like Carnival Cruise Line.

No comments: