Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Missionary Trip to China

One of the many temples in China in Inner Mongolia
I have always wanted to go to China and my dream came true in September 2006. I went as part of a missionary group, which was quite interesting. We went to Beijin, Inner Mongolia and Shanghai. I realized how privileged I was to live in America. I mean, I had to be very conscious of not using words referring to God and Jesus. It was really weird. Anyway, the people were really friendly. I was really surprised because of the stories that I heard about China. I could live China but it snows there, so that rules it out.
I liked Shanghai the least of the places we visited in China because it was too westernized. I loved Beijin the best. The best part was, I was like a celebrity. The Chinese people were really excited to see people of African Descent. We were such a rare specimen in their eyes. They were taking pictures of us and just all over us. You know I loved that right. Now, I know how the celebrities feel. That was my practice.
I feel in love with the Chinese language, it sounds so melodic there. Somehow, it sounds more harsher in America, must be the change of air. Did I mention the holes in the ground that were the toilets. Yup, needless to say, I was constipated when I got back home. That was too much to handle. Let me say, the hotels had proper toilets in the room. However, we spent most of our time on the road, so go figure.
Well, I would love to go there again and probably spend a month or more. You will enjoy it when you go. Maybe for the Olympics in 2008. China is making major preparation for that event. Who knows, maybe I will be back for that.

A day at the Great Wall


One of the many humongous meals we had
I finally learned how to use the chop sticks after all my years of trying. I realized after the first evening, that I better learn or I was going to starve.

Mickey D's had pineapple pies, the best

Bicycle is the main mode of transportation and cabs

Emperor's throne in the Forbidden City

Forbidden City

Inner Mongolia


Marketplace


Elder sharpening knives




No comments: